Complete with Wish / If only
To express a wish or a regret use the structures below:
wish/ if only + past => something you want now
wish/ if only + past perfect => expressing a regret
wish/ if only + would => complaining
1. Alice didn’t get a good grade. She wishes she ___________ (work) harder.
2.Tom likes football very much. He wishes he _____________ (become) a professional football player.
3.He was running very fast when he had a heart attack. If only he
_____________ (not/run) so fast.
4.She’s keen on computers. She wishes she _____________ (study) computer science next school year.
5.I am sorry I don’t know how to use the computer. If only I
_____________(know) how to use it.
6.I stayed late at work and missed the last bus. I wish I
_____________(stay) at work late.
7. I don’t speak Chinese and I regret that. I wish I _____________ (speak)
8. Tom doesn’t have a job. If only he __________________ (apply) for a job.
9. The children are shouting. I wish the kids _______________ (stop) making noise.
10.My car broke down on Sunday and I missed the party. I wish my car
__________ (not/break down)
11. I wish the rain ____________ (stop) so I could go out.
12. I don’t have anything to offer you. If only I ___________ (have) some cake to offer you.