For each sentence choose the best alternative and mark the letter next to the correct answer
1. The food in this restaurant is great. They probably have an excellent____________.
a)waiter b) cook c) cooker d) helper
2. We have got ten___________ on our hands, and ten__________ on our feet.
a) fingers / toes b) toes / fingers c)fingers / thumbs
3. What makes you feel really ______________?
a)boring b) bore c) bored d) bores
4. I am very_____________ with my job, so I’m looking for a new one.
a)satisfied b) happy c) unhappy d) good
5. The dog barked to give the police a _____________.
a) warning b) wave c) sound d) problem
6. My friend drank a lot and made a fool of himself at the party. Now he feels________.
a)embarrassing b) surprised c) insulted d) embarrassed
7. The doctor prescribed ____________for my rash.
a)water b) lots of rest c) an ointment d) exercises
8. When you have got the neighbors on one side, you live in a _____________ house.
a) big b) semi-detached c) terraced d) high
9. There are many valuable _____________ on the bottom of the oceans.
a) shipwrecks b) ships c) boatwrecks d) bodies
10. Wind and sun are some of the sources of __________________ energy.
a)hot b) important c) renewable d) cheap
11. What is the deepest____________ in the world? – It’s the Baikal
a)lake b) river c) sea d) ocean
12. _________________ is the process of cutting down woods.
a) farming b) forestation c) deforestation d) cleaning
13. He _______________out of university because he had lost his scholarship.
a)dropped b) fell c) walked d) jumped
14. Manchester United __________ Manchester City in the last minute of the match.
a)win b)defeat c)beat d) lost
15. As I was doing up my shoe, my shoe _____________ broke.
a) sole b) string c) rope d) lace
16. Sue ______________ much more money in her job than I do.
a)gains b) gives c) earns d)wins
17. We don’t exchange goods unless you still have ______________.
a)the bill b) cheque c) receipt d)recipe
18. When his team lost the cup final, Tom felt very ______________.
a) nervous b) disappointed c)glad d) jealous
19. Why can’t you tell the truth?! I am _____________ your excuses!
a) bored of b) full of c) fed up with d) angry with
20. The children decided to _____________ as astronauts for the party.
a) dress up b) wear c) pretend d) fit
21. He had just had an accident. A long white _____________ was wound around his arm.
a) cloth b) plaster c) bandage d) sleeve
22. ___________ the jacket, he is wearing a black T-shirt with white design on it.
a) under b) over c) underneath d) below
23. You shouldn’t let his ______________ affect your excellent work.
a) enthusiasm b) donation c) criticism d) decency
24. Brian doesn’t have a good ____________ so he didn’t understand that book very well.
a) concentration b) accumulation c) accommodation d) inadequacy
25. The economy is doing poor now. Jobs are _____________.
a) adequate b) enough c) full d) scarce
26. If a person is well-off, he is ______________.
a) rich b) organized c) smart d) poor
27. We have a lot of ______________ students at this university.
a) Dutche b) Hollandian c) Holland d) Dutch
28. The next train ___________ arrive at platform 4 is the 10:00 to London.
a) due for b) due to c) for d) expected
29. Oil, coal and gas are examples of _______________.
a) pollution b) elements c) fossil fuels d) greenhouse gases
30. In _____________, people talk about very personal and private things in their lives.
a) documentaries b) cartoons c) the news d) talk shows