1. George (fall) off the ladder while he (paint) the ceiling.
2. Last night I (read) in the bed when I suddenly (hear) a scream.
3. you (watch) TV when I (call) you?
4. Ann (wait) for me when I (arrive) .
5. I (not drive) very fast when the accident (happen) .
6. I (break) a plate last night. I (wash) the dishes when it (slip) out of my hand.
7. Tom (take) some photos while I (play) in the garden.
8. We (not go) out because it (rain) .
9. What (you do) last week?
10. I (see) Carol at the party. She (wear) a new dress.
11. The cell phone (ring) when I (take) a shower.
12. It (begin) to rain when I (walk) home.
13. We (see) an accident when we (wait) for the bus.
14. The children (sleep) all night.
Complete the text with the past form of the verb:
BE (X 7) – PUT – NEED – WALK – ARRIVE
It _____ a warm, sunny day. She _____ a hat on to keep the sun out of her eyes. She ____ to visit her bank. She _____down to the corner. There were four buildings at the intersection. One ____ her bank. Opposite the bank was a fast food restaurant. The other two buildings _____a dry cleaner and an office building. Before she arrived at the corner, she could smell the fried chicken. The restaurant ____ open seven days a week, and the odor of fried chicken _____ in the neighborhood daily. She ____ a vegetarian.
BE – FIND – HAVE – OPEN – KNOW
She used to eat meat and fish. But that ____ before she ______ a dead cat in her dumpster one day. Of course, she ___ smelled the dead cat before she _______ the dumpster lid. Everyone knows the smell of dead flesh. She ____ that something in the dumpster was dead, but she didn’t know what.
OPEN – SEE – COVER – LOVE
Just in case it was a human (some people dump their babies into dumpsters), she _____ the lid. She ____ the cat. Flies ______ most of it. They were enjoying their meal. She _____ cats. She had two of her own.
ORDER – THINK – SPIT – BECOME
A week later at a restaurant, she _________ a hamburger. While she was eating it, she suddenly ________ about the dead cat. She _____ out the hamburger. That was the day she _________ a vegetarian.
Notting Hill is a district in North-west London. It is the place of the annual Notting Hill Carnival. It is Europe’s biggest street party and the second biggest carnival in the world.
It began in the ’60s when only a few hundred people came. It grew bigger every year and two million people came this year. The weather was nice and everybody had a good time.
There were also 9,000 police officers who kept the people safe. One policewoman explained that they were trying a face recognition technology there. It would identify people who should not be at the carnival.
Answer the questions:
- What is this text about ?
- Where is it ?
- Is this carnival very famous and important ?
- When did it begin ?
- How many people came this year ?
- What was the weather like ?
- How many officers were there ?
- What was their role ?
- What new method did they use to identify people who should not be there?